Manolito is the fourth oldest of the five De La Cruz brothers, who were sent by Prince Vladimer Dubrinsky to the jungles of South America to rid the continent of the vampire, in protection of the Carpathian race. They have a ranch on the edge of the forest. He is aloof and aristocratic. His real name is Manuel but because his shoulders are broader and he has more muscle, his brothers tease him by reducing him to a boy. When Luiz Silva, a Jaguar male, nearly died trying to save two of the De La Cruz lifemates, Manolito saved him by converting him.
Monolito is actually a nickname that stuck over time, being used by everyone rather than just his family. It was a means to reduce him to boy by his brothers because he had broader shoulders and more muscles than them.
*NOTE: Though it wasn't talked about in Dark Possession, Manolito becomes Hän ku pesäk kaikak through exchanging blood with his lifemate, MaryAnn. In Dark Blood, Zev tells Mikhail of the Sange rau and how anyone of mixed blood, like MaryAnn and Manolito, would be put on a hit list and need protection.*
- Manolito is the first person to convert a male.
- He is also the first Carpathian to go to the Tree of Life and have to be pulled back.
- Manolito is the first Carpathian to have the ability to go to the next world and back, though it was a temporary ability to allow him to stop Maxim in the Land of Mist.
- Manolito is the first Carpathian we see become Hän ku pesäk kaikak, but Catalina is the first Carpathian we know of to become a Guardian of All.
- He is also the first person to go by a nickname rather than his birth name, as everyone calls him Manolito rather than Manuel.